Friday, 28 July 2017

This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

And, we're off! We are leaving this morning at 7.30 for the Brisbane International Airport for our flight to Canada, holy cow, I am so excited. Bags are packed and double checked, we will have breakfast soon and then shower and get ready. Our Son is taking us to the airport as he is starting work later today. Blog posts maybe sparse, but hang in there, I will try and post as often as I can. 

This week has all been about cleaning, tidying, paying bills, using food up and just generally putting things right, before we leave. We will only be gone for 2 weeks, the longest holiday we have ever had, but I don't want to worry about the house while we are gone and I also don't want to leave too much for our Son to do. He will be up to his eyeballs in work and keeping the home chugging along and the pets happy. 

This is what I managed to get done on the frugal front this week-

1. Made a spectacular Spicy Roasted Pumpkin and Roasted Capsicum soup to use up some pumpkin and 3 beautiful Red Capsicums. It was divine.


2. Made another batch of laundry liquid using this recipe. It is by far my favourite recipe and so very economical. 


3. Tidied the pantry, why is that frugal. Well, now I can see what I have and I also did a bit of a stocktake to see if anything needed using up before it's used by date. I found a litre of vegetable stock that was almost out of date, that went into the soup above.

Before

After

4. Mended one of the dogs winter jackets, it is quite old, but it is a really well made one. I had some strong ribbon which I doubled over, stitched and then sewed it onto the jacket as an anchor point for the strap that goes under Pippa's belly, like a horses blanket. It will see her out this winter and I will buy her a new one for next winter



5. Froze the rest of a large bottle of tomato paste in ice cube trays. I bought these large ice cube trays from Kmart, each one of the square sections holds 1/2 a cup, an ideal recipes size. They are silicon so the blocks of tomato paste just popped out. Love no waste!



So, that was my week of frugal, I would love to know what your frugal achievements were this week.

Have a lovely Friday

6 comments:

  1. I'm guessing you are flying right now Fiona. Have a wonderful time.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie,
      We have arrived in Vancouver after a good flight. Just finished breakfast at the Fairmont Waterfront. Now that the flight is out of the way I can start enjoying myself.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Fiona I've only just come home from work and read this, but anyway just wanted to say have a great time and enjoy your holiday!! You'll probably get this when you get back!

    ReplyDelete