This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

And hello long service leave! I am beside myself with excitement, as today is my last day of work for 5 whole weeks, Whoo Hoo! It is quite unbelievable to me, that not only am I away from work for all that time but also that we only have one more week until we leave on our Canada and Alaska trip. I have been too busy to really focus on next week, rather, just plodding and getting through another day at work, getting some work done at home, before falling into bed early at night.

This week I have cooked a couple of meat free meals that have been really delicious, the first one was these Cheesy Carrot and Zucchini Fritters and the other one was this Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl. They both came from a company called Hello fresh, a healthy grocery/meal delivery company that deliver everything you will need to cook several complete meals. Now, there are two reasons I did this, one was because I had $30 off voucher to use and the other reason was because I was curious. Would I use them again at full price? No, at full price, it would be way too expensive, with the voucher, it cost me $29.95 for 3 x vegetarian meals (I am yet to make the third meal, which is a Beetroot Tart with a green salad, our Son came down with a chesty cold, so I made a big pot of Chicken Soup instead) and I would have to do the calculations to see if it was actually good value for money (I am certain it won't be).

It is not for me, but, I can see that it would be good for some people that are time poor, want to eat well and do not mind dropping $60 for 3 dinners for 2 people. I increased the ingredients for the Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl as it would not have feed the 3 of us eating at home that night. Overall I was happy with the quality and the punctual delivery service, the only issue I had was that they didn't put all the food in the handy dandy insulation bag, the bag was just thrown in, to the side of the food in the box. Maybe they thought, as it was very cold, the food would be okay?

Now one with this weeks 5 Frugal things-

1. I picked green veg from our veggie pod for 2 nights dinners


2. I made two meat free dinners to keep the grocery costs down (well they would be better value had I just bought the ingredients instead)



3. I made another Whole Lime Cake to use up the rest of the mascarpone, I love no waste

     
4. Packed my lunch for work each day, below is yesterdays morning tea and lunch. Morning tea was a slice of Really Simple Date Loaf with Home Made Roasted Mixed Nut Butter and lunch was left over Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl, toasted flatbread, a mandarin and of course my single piece of dark chocolate


5. I made a huge batch of White Chocolate and Cranberry Biscuits to take to work for my last day at work before holidays, except for the white chocolate chips and the cranberries I had all the other ingredients in the pantry. This batch made 40 biscuits, plenty for work and home.
   


So, that was my 5 Frugal Things, over to you.

Have a lovely Friday.


3 comments

  1. I managed to get all sheets, towels and clothes dry this week and we don't have a dryer. It has rained every day except today. Yep, I had things hanging all over the place but it is all dry and put away now. All leftovers either eaten or frozen and homecooking every day.
    I love the look of those cookies and it makes a large batch too which is great.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought some white choc chips on sale and think those biscuits would be nice!! I also want to make dsome raspberry and white choc muffins with buttermilk I need to us up too:) Happy packing for your trip! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Fiona,
    I hope you have a wonderful trip, I will wave to you from MI, it is just below Canada. I always enjoy your Friday Frugals. Take care.
    Blessings, Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top