Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl

Hello Dear Reader,

It looks like red lentils and I have become best friends, these past few weeks. I love this humble lentil, so good for you, so versatile and so easy to cook with. Just of late I have made-My Best Red Lentil Dahl, Pumpkin, Lentil and Spinach Coconut Curry and Smoky Lentil and Chorizo Soup using this fantastic little lentil. You can just about just throw any ingredient at a couple of cups of lentils and you will end up with something amazing, especially in the cooler weather where we crave warmth and carbs.

This is yet another simple and delicious dinner that takes not much effort or cooking time to get on the table. I have probably said that phrase a bit too often on my blog, but I really mean it. I have two very hungry, meat preferring, men at my place and I am always thrilled when they go back for seconds on a veggie based dish. I think something magical happens when red lentils meet curry spices, veggies and coconut milk, you end up with an aromatic, hunger busting dinner that ticks all the boxes. Easy, filling and so, so, yummy.

This quantity was ample for 3 hungry adults with plenty left over for lunch the next day, it is so economical and when served with rice, goes a very long way. The Surinam Spinach I used in this Dahl is a perennial veggie that grows prolifically, I grew this plant from a tiny cutting I was given, from when I did my "Introduction to Permaculture" with Morag Gamble from "Our Permaculture Life. The course was run at "Northey Street City Farm" in May last year. Both the Surinam Spinach and the Perennial Coriander have taken over my Veggie Pod.

Ingredient for Spicy Carrot and Coconut Dahl, clockwise from top right-A few leaves of Silverbeet or any other leafy green(I had combination of 3 leaves of silverbeet and Surinam Spinach) washed, drained and roughly chopped, 1 cup of red lentils, rinsed and drained, 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced, 1 zucchini, finely diced, 2 tablespoon curry powder, 2 thumb sized pieces of ginger, grated, 2 garlic cloves, grated, 2 onions, chopped finely, 1 red chilli, finely chopped, 1 cup coconut milk, 3 cups veggie stock (I use Massel stock cubes) and a bunch of coriander, finely chopped

Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger, on medium/high heat until fragrant and softened slightly

Now add the curry powder and chilli and again sauté until fragrant

Add the chopped carrots and zucchini and let cook away for 5 minutes 

Add the rinsed and drained red lentils and mix to coat in the flavourful veggies

Now add the veggie stock, bring to a gentle simmer, pop a lid on, turn heat down to low and let cook for 30 minutes or until lentil are nice and soft

Add the leafy greens and let cook down into the dahl

The leafy greens will only take 1 to 2 minutes to cook through

Scatter with chopped coriander

I served ours with steamed basmati rice, warm flat bread and chutney

The aroma of this Dahl is just wonderful, it lingers in the kitchen and will have everyone asking "When is dinner ready"

Have a lovely Thursday.

One Year Ago-What we bought, spent and ate this week

2 comments

  1. I love cooking with red lentils too, ?Fiona. This dahl looks delicious! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy dhal and will try this version tonight, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top