Monday, 10 July 2017

Quick Bacon, Tomato and Broccoli Penne

Hello Dear Reader,

Todays recipe is fabulous, it is really quick to put together, super tasty and filling. It has a few shortcuts and tricks to help it along to the table in a very short time. This recipe comes from a Youtube clip of Mary Berry, until recently I hadn't even heard of her, but now I am absolutely hooked. Man can she cook! She has had a lifetime in the kitchen and her passion for good food hasn't diminished with time. She is such an elegant lady and always looks a million bucks. She is my new favourite source of wonderful recipes that really work.

The recipe calls for basil pesto and as I had an abundance of basil growing I made a very quick Almond and Basil Pesto but Mary's recipe calls for a container of shop bought pesto for convenience. Either way it adds such a delicious flavour kick and creates a little sauce to coat the pasta. All the other ingredients are every day ingredients that combine to make this a fabulously quick and easy dish, perfect for during the hectic work week.

Ingredients for Quick Bacon, Tomato and Broccoli Penne, clockwise from top right-
350 grams of Penne, 150 grams of pesto, 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds, 1 onion (not too big) diced very finely, 1 head broccoli, cut into small flowerettes, use the stem as well, 200 grams of small tomatoes, halved, 300 grams of bacon, sliced into smallish slices

Bring a big saucepan of water to a rapid boil, add pasta and onion, let it cook away until the pasta has  2 minutes to go until cooked to your liking

When the pasta is almost ready throw in the broccoli and cook for a further 2 minutes

Meanwhile in a heavy based, non stick pan, fry the bacon until golden 

Drain and refresh the broccoli and pasta with cold water, this is to stop the broccoli from cooking further and to hold onto the bright green colour

Now throw the pasta, broccoli and onion into the frypan with the bacon

Add the basil pesto

And stir through, then add the tomatoes and gently combine

Scrap and pour into the serving dish, sprinkle over toasted sunflower seeds and shave some parmesan over the top

The original recipe called for pine nuts but I find them really expensive so I substituted sunflower seeds and they were more than fine. I love this no fuss all in one meal, I will definitely be making it again.

Have a lovely Monday

One Year Ago-Creamy Potato Bake with Garlic, Spring Onions and Cheese

4 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe - I picked up the Coles $10 meal catalogue and was so impressed with all the budget friendly recipes. They also had some tips about food wastage! I'm going to try one of the pasta recipes this week - pumpkin and tuna bake - I'm going to add some brocolli like you have here as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina, it is a lovely easy and quick recipe. Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Ha! I've just discovered Mary Berry too! (through Rhonda's blog) I watched a couple of episodes on youtube and I love her, she makes no nonsense family friendly food, just perfect for our family. You wouldn't believe it, but I saw her show advertised on ABC Fri at 8pm, I've already set the DVD to record it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a lovely recipe, simple and filling. I'm going to add it to my menu plan for next week. I will have to find out about this Mary Berry...I've not heard of her before. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete