Monday, 24 July 2017

A Stitch In Time

Hello Dear Reader,

It has been a while since this bookshelf has been dusted

I am a creature of habit, not minding if I do the same sorts of jobs, day in, day out. I am not talking about my paid employment, I mean, what I do in and around my home, everyday. I feel all those little jobs enrich, not only my life, but the quality of life of my immediate and extended family. Cleaning, washing, sewing, cooking, baking and some gardening, when I have the time, are what keep my home humming along, without too many hiccups. One of my favourite, old fashioned sayings, is "A stitch in time, saves nine" it is, for me at least, so very true. To me, it simply means to keep on top of things and not letting jobs, big or small, to get out of hand.

As you can see the pantry need a good sort out and tidy

I have a cleaning schedule, which probably seems a bit rigid to some, but it works for me. I know that by keeping to the cleaning schedule, means that at the end of the 2 week cycle, my home is kinda clean and somewhat tidy. Don't get me wrong, my home is far from perfect, I live with 2 ordinary blokes, who aren't slobs but aren't all that fussy either. As long as the majority of the house is tidy and clean I can overlook some shabby areas. The lounge has slowly transformed into a real man cave, with fishing magazines galore and fishing gear (reels, line, lures and the like) often ending up next to the lounges ready to be tinkered with, while they watch TV at night. Boys and their toys!

The Man Cave, this is tame to what it sometimes looks like

I could be stressed out by this mess or I could just overlook it and carry on, I have chosen to go with the latter, as we all have to live in the house and as long as, eventually, the mess is cleared up, I am okay with it. Once upon a time that would not have been the case and I couldn't relax if there was a mess, but age has chilled me a bit and I now know it is not the end of the world not have a perfect house, all the time.

These blocks, in the sewing room, will eventually become a quilt for my darling little Grandniece's 4th birthday

This week, before we leave for our holiday on Friday, I want to tackle a few areas of the house that have become untidy and cluttered. I have written up jobs to do everyday, so that I don't become overwhelmed with it all. We have a few appointments to attend this week but mostly I will be at home tackling that list. Todays list is probably a bit too long, but I really wanted to make a dent in all the jobs that keep swirling through my brain. Wish me luck



How do you tackle the housework? Do you have a system that works for you?

Have a lovely Monday


4 comments:

  1. Another creature of habit here Fiona and all for the same reasons.
    Basic weekly schedule: Monday - floors and dusting, Tuesday - kitchen, Wednesday - toilets and bathroom basins, Saturday - my husband scrubs the showers.
    I keep on top of everything else as best as I can between running around with the kids, appointments, animals, cooking, garden...........
    3 more sleeps ��.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodmorning Kylie,
      I think it's great to have a cleaning system where everything gets a go over every week or so, you can then stay on top of the house. Life does get busy especially with kids to look after. Our daughter has grown and flown, I am just waiting for our son to do the same😉 I really still can't believe we are flying out on Friday, so excited. Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. I am very much lacking any sort of system or order in my cleaning schedule, and I'm desperately searching for a way to streamline it a bit. Lately I just focus on putting home cooked meals on the table, and keeping the washing and ironing up to date, most other things happen when they can around these priorities. I was just reading yesterday on Grandma Donna's Blog about a "card system" that appeals to me, but I have to do a bit more research into it.

    Good luck with your plans :)

    ReplyDelete