How I cook Chickpeas

Hello Dear Reader,

I like to buy my Chickpeas from a bulk goods store or an Asian Grocer. The price is far cheaper per kilo than buying them already canned or small packets of dried ones from supermarkets. You also end up with a much plumper and softer chickpea cooking them in bulk in the slow cooker. It's a doodle to do, simply throw up to a kilo of dried chickpeas in to the bowl of a slow cooker, add some bicarb soda, top with 5 cm of cold water and let the slow cooker do its thing for up to 10 hours on slow. Then simply drain, rinse, drain again and bag up into 250 gram lots (this is what a 400 gram can of Chickpeas contain once they are drained)  I then freeze the little packets down until I need chickpeas for a recipe.

As I mentioned, the chickpeas will be super plump and super soft, that means no more gritty texture or hard lumps that won't disappear when you are making hummus. I love my hummus smooth and silky and that is exactly what you get by cooking your king of pulses in the slow cooker.

I know I have mentioned before how much I love my slow cooker and use it Winter and Summer. It's fantastic in Summer to cook a  lovely piece of Silverside or Pickled Pork to serve with salads for dinner and the slow cooker, slowly does it thing, over the day, without adding too much heat to the kitchen. Sweet!

Now on with cooking Chickpeas in the slow cooker

500 grams of dried Chickpeas and 1/2 teaspoon Bicarb of Soda
Add chickpeas to the bowl of a slow cooker, add the bicarb and top with 5 cm of cold water
Cook for up to 10 hours on slow
Drain, rinse and then drain again
Portion up into 250 gram lots and freeze or use straight away



So, tell me, what do you like to cook in bulk and then freeze, to have on hand?


7 comments

  1. That is such a great idea, and I guess it would work with all the other dried goods, like black beans for example, I like to make Black bean burgers as a cheap vegetarian option sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, I love he sound of the Black bean burger, is it an easy recipe?

      Delete
  2. I always use the slow cooker in the garage or out on the verandah on hot days. Mind you it's already 37 degrees here today and more of the 40's next week. Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, wow that's hot! Thats a wonderful idea, having the slow cooker on the verandah, with that kind of heat you definitely don't want to add any more heat! Have a wonderful Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Do you think this would work for red lentils too? I love adding red lentils or chickpeas to salads and wraps
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz, I don't see why not, there are loads of recipes for slow cooker red lentil curries, so you could definitely cook a bulk lot of lentils in the slow cooker, cool slightly and then portion up and freeze. Just keep an eye on them, as they cook so much quicker than a pulse. Have a wonderful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's it I definitely want a slow cooker! I like the idea of putting it outside. It's so hot today I'm planning what to cook that won't involve generating too much heat. Fiona I grew chickpeas one year. I bought seedlings on a whim at Bunnings. I haven't bothered again as the dried ones are cheap anyway but it's something I'd do again perhaps when I'm retired. I have a feeling some self seeded after that but I pulled them out thinking they were weeds as I always have plenty of those

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top