Tuesday, 6 June 2017

Lime and Coconut Impossible Pie

Hello Dear Reader,

Who remembers when Impossible Pies's first gained popularity? I think it was in the late 80's, early 90's. I remember making Ham and Cheese Impossible Pie's quite a lot, they were easy, tasty and very economical. Well, fast forward a few years and they seem to be back, like clothing, culinary dishes come in and out of fashion. Years ago, when I was a member of "Simple Savings" I read a wonderful recipe for a Smoked Salmon Impossible Pie, well I went looking for it, and I found it, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds just divine.

As I posted yesterday, last week I was going to make a Spanakopita but ran out of time so I googled "Silverbeet Impossible Pie" and found a wonderful recipe that was quick, easy and really delicious. The flavours were very similar to a Spanakopita, minus the faff of filo pastry. While looking for that recipe I found this one and bookmarked it for when I had more time to make it.  Oh my, it is so totally yummy, part cake, part pudding and so delicious. The best part is, you just bung it into a food processor, blitz, pour into a pie dish and bake, that's it!

Ingredients for Lime and Coconut Impossible Pie, clockwise from top left-
1&1/2 cups milk, 1 cup raw sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla essence, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 50 grams butter, melted, 1 egg, 1/3 cup plain flour, 3/4 cup shredded coconut and icing sugar for dusting
(not pictured)

Preheat oven to 160C. Put all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth

I used my Thermomix and blitzed it for 10 seconds on speed 6, scraped down the sides and blitzed again for 5 seconds on speed 6

Pour into a buttered pie dish

And bake for 40 to 50 minutes, you want it still a little soft in the middle but golden on the edges. As always, keep an eye on it as every oven is different

I served ours with vanilla ice-cream and caramel bananas

Wonderfully easy and just the ticket for a cooler night at home. It reminds me of a gorgeous dessert my darling Mum used to make, Lemon Delicious Pudding, when you look at the ingredients they are very similar. Mum would always make it in the winter time and served it simply, with cream, such a special dessert and a wonderful memory.

Do you have a favourite "Impossible Pie" recipe? Want to share?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely recipe and so easy. I have all those ingredients except the lime. That can be easily fixed.
    I also remember Mum's Lemon Delicious. She made puddings all the time in the steamer.
    She only mentioned Lemon Delicious a few days ago as she was looking through her old recipes with our daughter.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete