Sunday, 14 May 2017

Your Money or Your Time

Hello Dear Reader,


We all know how precious our time is and we also know how much we earn per hour in paid employment, what if we treated our spare time at home like we treated our paid work hours. Most employers encourage you to be organised and efficient with your time while at work but while we are at home, we are our own boss and sometimes those precious hours at home are frittered away being not so productive. I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator and if I don't have a list and prioritise, I am likely not to get a lot achieved.


So, what I do now is write up how many spare hours I have in a day, whether it be a whole day or an afternoon after work, I then tally up how much I would earn at work for those hours and write that amount down on my daily diary. It gives me the encouragement not to waste a single minute. Here's an example of what I mean-


I finish work at 4pm and are home the latest of 4.15pm, I have a quick cuppa and start the afternoon jobs by 4.30pm, we like to eat by 6.30pm or 7pm at the latest, that means I have about 2 hours up my sleeve and an approximate earning capacity of $40, imagine two, crisp $20 notes flying out the door, if I sit and do nothing. For a whole day at home, that figure is approximately $220 (that's for eleven hours 6am till 6pm, taking an hours break for lunch and morning tea) that would be eleven $20 notes lost if, again, I sit and do nothing. (I do earn more that $20 per hour, but after tax, it's not much more)

I also use these strategies to make sure things get done-

1. Make a list and prioritise

2. Make that list no more than six items long

3. Get the least favourite job over with first, for instance I hate dusting, so I make that the first job on my list

4. Put on some great music that I love, I find it lifts the mood and I get through those jobs maybe a bit faster and in a better frame of mind.

5. Put a time limit on it, set an alarm on your phone and get as much done in that time as you can

Time is precious, lets not waste a single minute.


How do you motivate yourself to get those, not so lovely,  jobs done around the home?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a list maker too, I love to cross things off a list, and I do that thing when it's not on the list and I do it, I write it on and cross it off! (I've heard of many others who do the same LOL)

    You've shed a different light on "spare time" I will have to procrastinate on that for a while.

    I seem to "waste" a good hour or two late of an evening, after dinner is done and the kitchen is tidy. I usually just sit in front of the TV and catch up on shows I like to watch, problem is I'm usually too tired to do anything else, my days start early (before 6am) and by 7pm at night I've had enough, fair call I suppose, but I do see that time as a bit of a waste. Not sure what I can do about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep two lists. One is a daily list that I write each day in an old half-used exercise book my son brought home from school. It lives on my kitchen bench and I often just work my way through it durin the day. The other is more of a longer term list that I keep in a journal and that I only refer to every now and again. It's nice to go back to it and cross of things I've actually achieved. I wasn't always a list-maker but I find now that I get through a lot more with a list than without. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete