Sunday, 7 May 2017

What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

We have had a bit of a different week this week because of camping and being away from home. As I mentioned previously, I pre cooked a meal to bring with us for the first night, and it was a hit. I just had to heat it through and steam some potatoes to go with it and just like that, we enjoyed an almost instant dinner! As we didn't need much in the way of fresh fruit and veggies we didn't go to the Northside Fruit Barn, like we usually do, we just went to the Sunday morning markets and then Coles and Woolworths for a few things on the way home, so we didn't spend as much as we usually do. Sweet!

What we bought
Shopping from our Sunday morning markets, Coles and Woolworths. There are quite a few items here that we don't usually buy such as breakfast cereal, chips and a loaf of cheap bread. The bread is for the Rainbow Lorikeets we feed at the camp grounds, we drizzle it with honey and they go mad for it. And the breakfast cereal is just convenient for camping and well, the chips, are just because we are on holiday!

What we spent
Sunday Markets-

The Meat Truck-$35.18

Veggies and eggs-$21.10

Honey-$9.00

Coles-$69.54

Woolworths-$9.10 (a few items we couldn't get at Coles)

TOTAL-$143.82


What we ate
Saturday-Tempura Whiting with steamed basmati rice and choy sum

Sunday-Honey Prawns with steamed basmati rice and Choy Sum

Monday-Chorizo and Chickpea "Savoury Mince" with a steamed spud and sour cream

Tuesday and Thursday-Sausages with a steamed spud, sour cream and Asian Coleslaw

Wednesday and Friday-Rissoles, steamed spud, sour cream and Asian Coleslaw

So, that was the week that was, food wise. Over to you, what was on your menu this week?


5 comments:

  1. We had a crazy week with appointments last week therefore a lot of meals from the freezer.

    This week I'm making a few new recipes from a library book. Also trying to stretch our fresh produce as much as I can as we have our monthly Farmers Market next weekend.

    Coles had Organic Kale for $5 a bunch however when I picked it up it was so limp it pretty much bent in half. They gave it to me for $2 so between us and the chooks it will be eaten in a day or so. I've planted our kale now so homegrown very soon.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I haven't had spuds with sour cream for soooo long ... I will find a way to include that this week at our place. Delicious! Last weekend, I made up a nourishing stew, lots of veggies. We had that with dumplings (I love dumplings!!!) and leftovers as a potato topped pie. I love old-fashioned favourites like stews and crumbles and gratins when the weather is colder. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fiona, do you still shop at ALDI? Although I do shop at Coles and Woolies for those things I can't get at ALDI I find them so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning a Therese, we still get some items from Aldi, yesterday we stopped there on the way home from the markets and did a small shop of coffee pods, sugar, sultanas and kiwi fruit. I like to get puff pastry from Coles as it is a better product than the Aldi brand, I also like Massel brand of stock cubes compared to Aldi brand as there are no nasties in the Massel brand. I still do some shopping at Aldi, just not everything, they are definitely cheaper. Have a lovely day.
      Fi

      Delete
  4. We are making the most of the spring veggies - broad bean & bacon salad, prawn & asparagus risotto. But today is rainy & cold :(

    ReplyDelete