Friday, 19 May 2017

This Weeks 5 Frugal Things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

Welcome to Friday, without a doubt the best day of the week! Isn't it funny how certain days of the week feel different? Even though, it is just another day, Mondays definitely feel quite different to Fridays. I guess it is all in the mind set, Fridays mean the weekend is almost here with all the freedom that it brings, whereas Monday, is the start of another working week, chained to the machine. It's not that I dislike my job, I would just rather stay home instead!

I must try and bring you some other frugal things I do in a week rather than all the foodie frugal stuff I do, I think I am a little obsessed with food and using it all to prevent waste. I promise to deliver more non-food related frugal achievements next week. Now, on with this weeks frugal stuff-

1. Packed my morning tea and lunch everyday, nothing new there, but I think it is a great place to start if you want to save money. It may not be gourmet but it is always healthy and filling. I really don't mind what I eat and will often have the same thing all week.


2. Used up the  last of the Wombok, that was sitting in the crisper draw, in this Thai Pork and Wombok soup. I had bought a huge Wombok from the markets a few weeks ago to make an Asian coleslaw to take camping with us. I always go for best value when buying fruit and veg and will check out all the prices, at the fruit and veg stalls first, before purchasing anything. I went with a whole Wombok rather that the half as it was just 50 cents more for a whole Wombok at another stall.  I fiddled with and adapted the recipe to reflect the ingredients I had in the house. 



3. Used the slow cooked to make a beautiful Osso Buco Alla Milanese last Sunday, it was Mothers day and I didn't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. It is a great little recipe and takes no time to actually put together, than I put it in the slow cooker for the rest of the day. The slow cooker draws very little power.


4. Made us all a beautiful breakfast on Sunday at home rather than going out. It took hardly any time to put together then they bake for 10 minutes or so. I also had all the ingredients already at home, so there was no extra outlay for this special breakfast.


5. I finally picked the final four Pomegranates that were growing on our tree, I had picked the first two, about three weeks ago and even though they looked perfect on the outside, inside was a different story. They weren't properly formed and not right at all and the arils were pale pink and tiny. Looks can be deceiving!


However these four pomegranates are far from picture perfect and cosmetically challenged but...


Just look how many arils I got out of these four, very imperfect looking fruit-


We have been having this gorgeous, jewel like, fruit on our breakfast fruit salad and yoghurt every morning and I really want to make this salad. We'll see what the weekend brings. Just out of interest I looked up the price of Pomegranate arils sold in a pack, for a 75 gram pack they cost $5.00 that means I saved myself roughly $23 by being patient and growing this beautiful fruit. But really, it is just for a bit of fun, the actual tree started life as a Bonsai project my son decided not to go ahead with, I have repotted this tree, three times since then and this is the first year I have been able to pick anything that looks edible.

Your turn, what's your frugal achievements this week?

On another note, it's raining, yeh!

3 comments:

  1. Fiona did you happen to watch the show War On Waste on the ABC on Wednesday night?
    This weeks episode was all about food waste. It was shocking to say the least! I won't tell you about it because you will be able to watch it on iview if it interests you, but I can highly recommend it, even for someone like you who doesn't waste a thing, it is worth viewing if not only to reinforce why you do what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, I did see that show, I missed it on Tuesday night so I downloaded iview and watched "war on waste" last night. Wow how distressing it was to see all that waste! Too bendy bananas not bendy enough! It's just plain crazy stupid! I have seen the UK version of the show and it looks like it follows a very similar format. Have a lovely weekend Fi

      Delete
    2. It's complete madness isn't it! I didn't know there was a UK version, I'm just glad they are getting this information out there, such intelligent and informative viewing, beats watching fake wedding shows and out of touch cooking competitions!

      Delete