Monday, 22 August 2016

Chickpea and Chorizo Pot Pies

Hello Dear Reader,

I had a surplus packet of Chorizo, that I had popped into the freezer from when I made Feijoada back in July and I was wondering what to do with two lonesome Chorizos. Well, I was going though one of my recipe folders the other day and there was this great recipe. It came from "U on Sunday" the wonderful free magazine that comes with the Sunday Mail. It is the only part of the paper that I read from cover to cover.

This recipe is from a Jessica Brook and was dated 11 May 2014. I am forever tearing out and keeping recipes from magazines and papers. I try to keep them organised by using binders and folders and I do go through them every so often to see if a recipe is still relevant to me. So, thank you, Jessica Brook, it's a fantastic little recipe, easy, warming and delicious.

Ingredients for Chickpea and Chorizo Pot Pies. From Top right-1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon dried chilly flakes, 200 grams Chorizo, a good handful each of oregano and parsley, finely chopped, 250 gram of cooked chickpeas or 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, salt and pepper to taste, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 sheet bought puff pastry, thawed slightly. 
Remove the casings on the Chorizos, discard the casings and put the chorizo's into a food processor
Blitz until finely chopped
In a bowl, add the blitzed chorizo along with the can of tomatoes, herbs, chickpeas, chilli, sugar and vinegar
Give it a good stir
Divide mixture into 4 ramekins (1 1/4 cup capacity) and brush the edges with a beaten egg. Cut out four slightly larger discs of puff pastry and top ramekins with it, press to seal


Brush, generously, with beaten egg and put into a very hot preheated oven (200 C)
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden brown
Simple, warming and delicious. The filling is like the best "Savoury Mince" ever!


So, tell me, do you cut and keep recipes from magazines and papers? How do you file them? 

1 comment:

  1. Yes I frequently tear out recipes from newspapers and magazines. No I have no method for organising them which often results in a big hunt before cooking can commence! It does however keep my cooking varied and interesting. I made your nut and seed crackers again on the weekend. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete